With rising prevalence of childhood obesity, the pattern of diabetes in childhood has also changed. Over 500,000 children under age 15 are diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes throughout the world. Over 92,000 of such children are Indian.
Management of childhood diabetes is more difficult than adult diabetes because while adults can lead a disciplined life by choice, children must be taught to manage their lifestyle carefully. Agada’s Childhood Diabetes Programme is a comprehensive plan that not only treats the child for the condition but also counsels the child and her caregivers (parents) to manage the malady effectively.
Through this programme, we offer the following services:
- Regular thorough evaluation to determine type of diabetes and assessment of complications
- Periodic appointments with the physician
- Diabetes management education for children and their caregivers
- Basic diabetes and self-management education
- One-on-one visits with physicians, dieticians and physical trainers
- Ongoing medical follow-up until age 18
- Teaching materials